Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Zoological tidbits and definitions

OK we are studying together, I'm going to type up some random interesting or unexpected zoological tidbits as I study for my Vertebrate Zoology final this Thursday. This post is somewhat inspired by Harper's Index, actually.

Rhino horn isn't actually horn, but compacted hair.

There may be a connection to lack of sunlight exposure and autism (hey, it's in my lecture notes I'm just the messenger here).

The Dayak Fruit Bat is one of the only mammalian species where male lactation could be the norm.


Cervids (deer and some such folks) that have antlers (almost all of them do) tend to shed them once a year. The interesting tidbit is, Reindeer and Caribou are exceptions, and don't shed theirs at all.

Of the egg-laying mammals, only the Echidna incubate them inside a pouch in their body. The Platypus makes a nest inside a burrow and incubates her eggs outside her body.

2 grams appears to be some kind of lower limit for size of an endothermic animal. Both the Kitti's Hog-nosed bat and Bee Hummingbird (Mellisuga helenae) run approximately 1.6 - 2.0 grams. They are generally accepted to be the smallest mammal and bird around, or at least representative of each.

I think I'll do this some more tomorrow.

Enjoy your anamilian kin,

Bp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, fun-filled list of fascinating facts!

LT said...

Cool stuff. Hey, did you know that some cervids have tusks? Cool stuff out there. And I looked like hell for an echidne around Sydney last year. Dang I didn't find one.

Bpaul said...

How do you get those texted links into comments, that's SO SLICK!

I was aware of the little tusked cervids, but hadn't really put it together. They're cool animals to be sure.

I'd love to visit Australia, it's on my short list.