Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Largest Sitka Spruce in the U.S. succumbs to storms



This Sitka Spruce (also known at the Klootchy creek giant) is huge, and I just can't find pictures that give it justice. Apparently it snapped in half high above the ground during this week's storm, in high winds. It was a consistent stop for me on my way to the coast, and most Oregonians will have some memory to share about visiting it. A local news station took submissions of people's photos around the tree, which may give you some impression of it's grandeur.

This is one of the oldest living things in Oregon, and one of the biggest trees in the state as well. The tree was coming to the end of its natural life cycle, and showed signs of wear long before this storm finally snapped its trunk.

I'm very curious what will be done with the wood, the value is immense.

Sad to say goodbye to this giant being.

Enjoy your old relatives,

Bp

2 comments:

Bentley said...

It would be pretty amazing if they kept it as a "Mother log" to help spread the forest.
Though, with that ammount of aged spruce i'm sure they'll sell/use some of it.

Bpaul said...

I have to say, I'm curious.

As habitat, a standing snag of that size is just about priceless. But with the public around the liability is probably too much.

Very curious what they'll do, because the wood in there has to be absolutely fantastic too.

I'll probably keep up on this tree and report back if I get any info.