Sunday, December 2, 2007

An unexpected study break


So we're studying over at The Den (Doc Ock's apartment) when we heard a very serious crunch outside and a car alarm going off. Somehow, I knew. I stood up, got my shoes and started lacing them. I went outside and clicked my keys and sure enough the alarm turned off.

Some poor guy was turning a corner in a light truck, and as he accelerated out of the turn lost the back end on wet street and wet leaves. He really nailed the car, pushing the back tire into the curb hard enough that it's not exactly at the right angle anymore. I'm thinking the axle is maybe not so hot.

He was all right, he came up to the apartment and we started doing the do, we offered him condolences, tea and hot openfaced tuna melts, and the dance with the insurance company begins. So far Geico is fine, but time will tell.

An unexpected 3-hour study break (all told, getting the rental car etc).

Oh, and (although I see its use and I find myself enjoying little bits and pieces of it) Organic chemistry , with this professor and his Rampantly Rigorous Tests (tm) -- can bite me.

Enjoy your infernal combustion transportation,

Bp

11 comments:

Bentley said...

Dude that sucks :( that car is a trooper!

Bpaul said...

Yeah, would be a drag to replace it.

We shall see we shall see.

Iciyapi Tate said...

damn man that sucks, i hope it is minor damage

Anonymous said...

Watch out for Geico! There is a reason their rates are low--THEY DON'T PAY! My neighbor went through the mill with them even though it wasn't her fault. If they hassle you AT ALL just get an attorney (no joking).

Cars suck--ride a bike.

My condolences.

Bpaul said...

Yeah, it's an insurance company's job not to pay, so I expect to have to be on top of this.

They accepted liability and got me into a rental car pronto, so so far things are fine.

Iciyapi Tate said...

just stay focused on those tests
Badboy

Catherine Just said...

holy crap that sucks. Just glad you weren't in the car driving when that happened. Hope the insurance works in your favor. I love that car. You've had it since I lived in Portland. bun warmers. that's all I can say.

Anonymous said...

ouch - feeling your pain here, for sure. We were calling our insurance company daily until things got rolling on our claim. Best of luck with it.

Bpaul said...

Bun warmers for the win.

Yeah Johan... I've been on the phone with geico already a couple times today, not because anything is wrong, but just to make sure it's on track.

The price to play.

Anonymous said...

I add my condolences to the pile -- may the insurance do the right thing...tell them you have a first class blog for good or ill for them...!
ps -- it was the first car I ever saw with those bun warmers--I thought Katye was kidding! then I was 'warmed' -- mom

Stingite said...

gah, that really sucks. /condolences