Monday, September 15, 2008

Finished American Gods, a quick review


If you are watching the "currently reading" widget at the side there, you can see I've finished the book American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it, it was perfect light summer reading to ease me into that whole "reading for pleasure" thing I remember from my pre-college past.

I don't want to get too far into the story, as much of the enjoyment of the book is how you discover what is actually going on. What was as pleasurable as the story itself, was Gaiman's slick and readable delivery. The guy knows how to write, and it came across immediately as I read this.

Gaiman uses enough straight-forward imagery that I often found myself wanting to tell folks about this movie I was watching and realized that it was this book I was thinking of. The book reads like a graphic novel without graphics, or a screenplay. The action is direct, the images set the scene quickly and effectively, and the story progresses well.

There are many other reviews and fan sites out there for Gaiman and his work, so if you are interested I'd say head there for more information. For my part, I give this book a solid B, which translates into very readable. A good premise and well executed.

Later, I'll talk about the experience that was reading The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.

Enjoy reading for pleasure whenever you can,

Bp

No comments: