Saturday, November 3, 2007

Wild Edible mushrooms I won't pick, and why

Yesterday, the crew ran across a couple varieties of edible mushroom that I don't pick. In the process of writing this post, I realized that the reasons I don't pick them turn out to be pretty wishy-washy.

The first and most abundant is the Black Elfin Saddle, or Helvella lacunosa. Basically, I don't eat this one due to anecdotal evidence. I remember reading, or hearing somewhere, that if you ate a good amount of these and consumed alcohol, you could be temporarily paralyzed for about 24 hours. Harmless, but freaky. I, for the life of me, cannot find any reference to this "fact" anymore. So, I Have to chalk this up to superstition. Liamsdad is not saddled with these irrational fears, and collects and eats them with enthusiasm.

The second mushroom is a really handsome sucker called a Western Grisette, or Amanita pachycolea. It is very identifiable for someone with mushroom experience, it's supposed to taste dandy (despite what the Cali website says) and it would be another feather under my cap should I collect and eat it. But, you see, the term Amanita sends shivers up my spine. This is the family that sports both the Death Cap (Amanita phalloides), and the Destroying Angel (Amanita ocreata). Both of these mushrooms will take you out, dead, with one small serving. You may be saved with an organ transplant, but who wants to go through THAT hassle. I'd have to miss DAYS of school. So, I don't pick this handsome and tasty mushroom.

We found both on our last trip -- Liamsdad grabbed up the Elfin Saddles and I pointed out and talked about my fear of the Western Grisette and we left it at that. I figure, better safe than sorry, even if I can't find a single reference to back up my memory of temporary paralysis.

Enjoy your unfounded fears,

Bp

[Photo copyrights/credits: Elfin Saddle Mark Steinmetz; Western Grisette, Taylor F. Lockwood -- whom I've met, hell of a nice guy.]

2 comments:

4 said...

I can't imagine whatever it is that paralyzes you is particularly good for you. But then again, neither is McDonalds. I don't know. I'm scared of almost everything aside from Chantrelles.

Bpaul said...

That's the thing, it was just a story, and now I can't find a lick of reference to it anywhere.

I'm positive I heard/read it someplace, but now I'm stumped.

I hear they make great replacement (once dried) for black fungus that Chinese recipes call for in soups especially.

but

...

I will probably remain a wimp on this one.