Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Taxonomical mnemonics

Just walked out of my Vertebrate Zoology lab practicum (read: a test with slides and specimens). I can say with confidence that I owned it. Been beating my head around Latinate names for days now, narrowing down the list of what I can remember and what I can't to a few that just wouldn't stick in my brain.

Some names have a memory hook of some kind, like Tamias minimus, the least chipmunk. Least -- minimus -- some connection there. Tamias, well that's just a memorize thing.

But some animals got on the short short list of "how the hell am I going to remember this effing name."
This cute little dude made the list. It's a Northern Flying Squirrel.

Here's the process. Order Rodentia -- ok that makes sense, rodents, squirrels, not a problem. Family Petauristinae -- not much to go on there... I start to sweat a bit as I write up the flash card. Scientific name Glaucomys sabrinus, wow, panic time. There's just nothing that seems to relate to anything in there.

Punchy from going over so many flashcards, my study partner and I (her daughter may be traveling with Paris Hilton soon, WTF -- another story for another time) started just trying to piece anything together that would help us with these last few tough nuts.

In this case: Sabrina has glaucoma, is a taurus, and has a pet flying squirrel = Glaucomys sabrinus, family Petauristinae -- TADA!

We have others, I may or may not subject ya'll to them.

Enjoy it, whatever it is,

Bp

No comments: