Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Viral blogs, the famous JcPenny catalog issue


So I get this awesome email from my Mom a few days ago -- it is a bunch of pictures out of a JcPenny catalog from 1977, with some snarky and humorous commentary. Then I receive an email from another friend tonight with the same pictures and text and upon actually reading it, realize it is in a blog. I search the internet and sure enough, there it is... in a blog called 15 minute Lunch.

It's an accident, a lark. This guy who blogs casually finds a bitching find, writes it up, and BOOM it goes viral. By viral I mean, he's getting like over 200,000 hits on his web log just this week. It won't stop there, I think this is just hitting it's steam as far as getting out there. People love it.

Don't misunderstand me here, his commentary is funny as hell. He did a great job with the material -- so it's not a complete accident it works. It's a complete accident that the world is built in such a way, that the internet is built in such a way, that probably half a million people will see this guy's moment of inspiration. That's just awesome.

Result: that little bar of Google Ads on the sidebar of his page is actually going to pay this guy some money for the next few weeks or so -- possibly longer. [Net savvy blog readers click around on the ads when they like the article, because it ups the possibility that the author will break the minimum monthly earnings and actually get a check from Google] Probably not a lot, maybe enough to buy a nice dinner for he and his wife, maybe enough to do something a bit bigger -- but something. A quick find in the insulation between some joists, a witty post on his personal blog, and this guy's a temporary superstar. This is his 15 minutes (unless it parlays into something bigger).

It's all very cool. Including the post itself, you should check it out it rocks hard.

Enjoy your 15 minutes -- parlay it into a comfortable life if you can,

Bp

5 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

thanks for the mention!

Bpaul said...

Honored sir, nice catch!

(I grabbed your moon phase widget too, very classy)

Shocho said...

Uh, well, it wasn't like that back then. You didn't get your ass kicked for dressing like that because everybody dressed like that.

Anyway, pretty funny, and I'm jealous of the instant stardom and hits. Cause that's the kind of shallow person I really am.

I tried the Google AdSense and one month I got almost $7 worth of clicks. They don't even pay you until you break a hundred.

Johnny Virgil said...

Shocho, I posted this comment on my own blog, but I'll post it here too ...I think it depends. Some people (like you) argue that "Everybody dressed like that, so nobody got their asses kicked." Well, I remember getting pushed around a lot by the kids in the Zeppelin t-shirts, leather jackets and jeans, being called all sorts of names. Then again, I *was* 14 years old and wearing a blue and gold silk shirt, a velour jacket that faded from dark brown to light brown, and matching bell-bottom pants that did the same.

I think I probably deserved it.

Bpaul said...

JV:

You could take that EXACT outfit you described, let your scruff grow out a bit on your face, be between the ages of 22 - 32, don't brush your hair, and get more ass than a toilet seat in Portland hipster bars this very weekend. I'm not joking.

How the world turns.