Friday, November 9, 2007

Luddite finds Kings on the coast

Received this image today over email from a very happy Luddite.
His spider sense got tingling and sure enough he found some Boletus edulus, or King Boletes, or Ceps, or Porcini.

I like many wild mushrooms for eating, but when I had these for the first time -- I hesitate to say this, but I think they blow most others out of the water.

(waits for lightning from the mushroom gods)

They all have their place and flavor and compatible dishes, but Ceps are just so dam good. Ok... Black Chanterelles are super tasty as well. And Matsutake have an incredibly unique and robust flavor... okok, it's apples and oranges. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all that rot. They're all good.

It's just I don't get Kings where I pick hardly ever. So, the grass is greener down the coast today.

I'll recover from this green, envious tinge momentarily.

Enjoy your friends' successes,

Bp

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, they are popping, and if I get the chance, I'll go find more! I'm having visions of Mason jars filled with dried Porcini.

Otherwise, It's probably time to trim the beard.

Bpaul said...

Don't you dare trim the beard.

Kate said...

so very very jealous!

Bpaul said...

You know Kate, not to be pushy or whatever, but you just don't strike me as the beard type anyway hun.

Don't worry I can't grow a good one either.

Kate said...

brat =P

Iciyapi Tate said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. the beard looks good man, gratz on the big fungus.
I am so excited really!!!

Kate with a beard sweet

4 said...

Giant Porcini looks awesome. BTW: You''re going to have to tell me how you get the Amazon mushroom book recommedation thing on the sidebar. I'd love to get a little cash for referring people to sweet reads.

Bpaul said...

Amazon.com associates central

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/002-7297178-4363250

I haven't made any money, but I throw up the ads just in case I get something viral or get a readership in the future or whatever.

Google adsense has a $100 a month minimum, but I do believe the amazon thingy just accumulates little dings here and there and eventually adds up I think.

That remains to be seen.

Basically, just playing around with the stuff.

Bpaul said...

By $100 a month I mean it zeroes out every month. Adsense gets them scads of free advertising. Tons.

But whatever, figured I'd throw it in there just in case.

Openly Guarded said...

Rather than shave the beard you could enter the World Beard Championship.


http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

The best stuff is found here:

http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk/wbmcwinners.shtml

Bpaul said...

Holy crap those are out there.