Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Taxonomical mnemonics #2

Ok, I'll do one more mnemonic. We found that humor worked best, and ridiculousness. We dialed this last mnemonic in finally the last hour before the test. Sure enough, we had a specimen and had to I.D. it. No way I would have remembered if it weren't for this.

This cute little dude (though I think of them as dudettes) is the Deer Mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus. We didn't have anything to go on. We had to reach, and create another storyline/character to make it stick.

This Dear (deer) mouse (myscus, don't ask me why but it worked) thought she was a dog (perro), so went to go get a manicure (maniculatus). Keeping maniculatus from turning into manipulatus in our heads was key here... that just kept happening.

Somehow, that scored me a few points on the practicum.

Enjoy figuring out what works, no matter how weird,

Bp

2 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

Oh, man, time for a brain enema! How much longer in this term?

Bpaul said...

Last final is 8:00 am on... the 7th I believe.

The scary one is a week from today.

And that one has a full mid-term (misnomer... exam, full sized, 3 chapter) tomorrow.

nap time, going to hit it hard tonight.