Monday, March 31, 2008

Forgotten English -- Uts!

First, a modern occurrence of Uts! -- it is one of the sounds I make when being awakened from a dead sleep by a profound cramp in my Psoas muscle (which I have complained about before). I make the sound to deal with the sensations I'm having (searing pain), while trying desperately to get out of bed in a timely fashion to stretch out the affected area, but not wake up The Wife. Hopping around half naked, huffing and puffing, most of the sounds are right out of old Batman fight scenes: Oof! Biff! Poosh! Kshawwwwww!

The real definition of Uts! -- "A term of encouragement to dogs, generally to incite them to fight."

[From: Jeffrey Kacirk Forgotten English 2008 Calendar: A Calendar of Vanishing Vocabulary and Folklore]

Enjoy words that are also simply sounds, and require exclamation marks as part of the proper spelling,

Bp

1 comment:

Stu Farnham said...

When I wake up with a pain in the psoas i shout "Oh, furk [*], that hurts!"


* Furk: to expel. to be furked is to be thrown out. op cit., Feb 2008