Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Little Dudes: Mary's River Turtle -- Eluser macrurus


Picked this Little Dude, the Mary River Turtle because the photos I found are just great. An amateur photographer got the photo presented here and a few others (shown in the article) while wading the Mary River in Queensland. The turtle is the center of a controversy as the government wants to dam the river, but this species as well as a number of other animals that reside in the river are endangered and need protection.

I hope the punk turtle lives long and well.

Enjoy British early 80's hair fads on aquatic reptiles,

Bp

[photo credit in linked article]

7 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

Regarding dams:

As I have written more than once of the sadness that I feel when I see the great rivers of the Oregon terrirory transformed by dams. I have also said that those who advocate immediate removal of the dams are naive and do not apprciate (or do not care about) the human impact of removing the dams given how intertwined the water, shipping, electricity, etc they provide have become in the life of the region.

There are two lessons in this: dams are environmental disasters, and their benefits are addictive. That's a deadly combination.

Bpaul said...

Well put sir.

4 said...

Good looking hair on that turtle. Maybe I can replace my thining mop with algae.

Rooboy said...

Beauty way. What a turt.

Hey Bp

LT from my Little Thom site here.

I don't think I linked in the past to my other site, my "Life is much more fun and wonderful and doesn't involve politics" site. I just started posting to it agian after several months, and hope to do much more, because - well, it's much more fun.

Boxing Kangaroos is the name. It's got some Australian fauna from my trip there in '06.

Thanks! Back later.

Catherine Just said...

oh my god that little guy needs a hug

Bpaul said...

Right on LT -- I'll check that out.

I like your synopsis of the other blog LOL.

Stu Farnham said...

I've got to agree that life is more fun and wonderful without politics.

My outrage glands have dried up after 8 years of Bush/Cheney and my apathaty secretors are getting busy given the choices of McCain and Barack OClinton (funny, he does not look Irish).

I had a nice horseback ride along the river and through the sagebrus today. We're in the latter part of the water fowl migration, and the thickets by the lake were loaded with quail. Nary a Demorepublicratican in sight.