Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Awesome -- Japanese orchestra covers "smoke on the water"

Ok, I guess it's the week of creating new labels. This video of a Japanese orchestra covering Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water demands the label "Awesome."

There used to be a blog called Your Daily Awesome that I checked all the time. I didn't want to steal his schtick. But -- that blog is down, and I think he'd be proud to have some resonance of the meme floating around in the blogosphere.

Day one of the "Awesome" label:



Enjoy bizarre covers,

Bp

[thanks Estu for the link]

2 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

When I got a pointer to this in email, I expected to be unimpressed -- after all, we're talking "Smoke on the Water" in the kind of arrangement that would get featured on NPR. (Hmmm, I wonder if there is a secondary opinion hidden in here somewhere)

Not so, this is amazing stuff!

Dani said...

I freaking love Japanese oddities like this. They didn't just perform the song on traditional instruments, they made it Japanese. The shamisen solo was awesome!