Monday, March 3, 2008

Truly Portland ride on the Max this Sunday


I took the light rail (Max) down to PSU this Sunday to meet with a study partner. It was early afternoon, on a Sunday, and the trains were nearly full to capacity. Not quite as tight as rush hour, but very bustling. Made me wonder what universe the conservitron radio personalities around here live in when they continue to claim no one even uses the Max. What??

Someone mentioned that there tends to be a big influx of "airport traffic" on mid-day Sundays -- people returning home from trips and commutes. I did notice some Japanese tourist couples, and other folks with big bags on the car.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see so many folks on public transport, it was a sunny day, and I was enjoying the people watching as I rode into town. I noticed a lady sitting near me reading The Botany of Desire, so I asked her what she thought of the book. She said his writing was very approachable, and interesting, yet still chock full of facts and figures. I hadn't realized that this was the same author as the high-on-my-reading-list book The Omnivore's Dilemna. I'm definitely looking forward to spring break or summer vacation to get reading on this stuff.

When she left the train, I looked up and noticed, for the first time, that the older gentlemen standing next to me was none other than our own former Mayor Bud Clark. He was in Carharts, and had a Hoyt Arboretum flannel vest on. He was riding with his nicely broken-in hybrid commuter bicycle. He was friendly and approachable, so we chatted about bike routes and public transit and beer at the Goose Hollow Inn, where he was headed to enjoy a pint after his ride.

This is a very cool place to live, I must say.

Enjoy our surroundings, they're conveniently placed,

Bp

Ps: the poster depicted above isn't completely random, that's our Former Mayor his'self.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday I was regurgitating some Johnny Appleseed facts from Botany of Desire to my workmates--a book I immensely enjoyed. I just started “In Defense of Food: an eater's manifesto” and it is hitting his high mark. I would recommend ANYTHING Pollan writes.

Bud Clark ROCKS!

4 said...

Sounds like you guys had an awesome mayor. And I second Trappin' Pat. Pollan rules. Omnivore's Dilemma is possibly the best non-fiction out there.

Catherine Just said...

my parents had that poster in our house when I was growing up....