Saturday, March 8, 2008

Kingfisher Action Photos

Here is a beautiful picture of a "Halcyon" Kingfisher. There is a slide show with more photos and some information on the bird here at Pravda.ru. There are a number of Halcyons, and the captions on the pictures claim this one to be a White Throated Kingfisher -- but the look doesn't match up. It looks almost, but not quite, like a Malachite Kingfisher as well. Since I'm no expert I won't hazard a guess -- the thing's gorgeous so that's all we need to know at this point, no?

I tend to cruise the Pravda site for (unintentional) humor on par with The Onion and Engrish.com -- but there are also interesting articles and photos on occasion.



[photo credits in linked slide show]


Enjoy technological help with seeing nature's beauty,

Bp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely made my day! What a bird, what colors, what attitude...long may they look through those cute eyes...thanks for the lift! yer va momma

LT said...

I got a photo of a tiny Azure Kingfisher in the Northern Territories in '06. Coolest little bird - so fast.

Bpaul said...

That's AWESOME -- look at the bill on that little feller.

I look forward to some travel when I'm done being a starving student. I have always wanted to see Australia.