Sunday, October 14, 2007

Post meltdown movie review: Michael Clayton (trailer too)

I completely dug this movie. In fact, I can say I dug this FILM. Watching it forces me to make a bit of a confession -- when I go to a normal movie, I prep myself. I set myself up by thinking thoughts like: you know this is going to suck, but enjoy the explosions; or, this is a pat storyline but you are here for the acting of -X- actor. I dumb myself down so I can enjoy much of what I watch. There was no need to do any of that for this movie.

The entry monologue is a dam fine piece of writing and actually hooks you with words. How long has it been since a movie hooked you with words? The climax of the movie shines again with some more superb, gripping, and energetic writing.

This is Tony Gilroy's directorial debut. He also wrote the screenplay -- he wears both hats exceptionally well. He got his chops by adapting the Bourne books into the trilogy that I (and millions of others) loved so much.

This movie had an incredibly solid team: great acting, great writing, great directing and great cinematography. The story was low key enough to demand the best out of the crew, and they delivered. This is a people movie, a dialogue movie, but well shot enough that I recommend folks see it on a big screen if you can. Normally I reserve people/dialogue movies for DVD rental, and see the special effects-type movies in the theatre, but in this case you would miss a lot if you only saw it on the small screen.

I give the movie a solid A. Watch for some oscars on this one as well, Gilroy has to be considered for both writing and directing, and Clooney just kicks ass. I sometimes can't stand him when he's being smug, or confident, or sly in a part -- but as this beat-down, conflicted, passionate lead he shines.

As for the "meltdown" mentioned in the title of this post -- I have an O-chem exam tomorrow. I've been studying all weekend. The first exam for a new prof is always touchy, you just don't know what you are up against. In the process of working through past exams for dozens of hours this week, I just keep making the mistakes I was set up to make by the questions -- every -- freaking -- TIME. Finally I got mad. Like, quiet mad. I closed my book, went outside for some fresh air, and decided to go see a movie -- picking the closest theatre and nearest movie time I could find. I needed to hit the reset button on my psyche. It worked, and I found a movie in the process that would probably have gone right under my radar otherwise.

Enjoy your unexpected surprises,

Bp

No comments: