Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Garlic beats hospital superbugs

BBC reports that garlic provides wherewithal (allicin, the part that makes it stink) to fight even hospital-bred super bugs. The tests are still under way but the results look promising.

I strongly suspect that just using garlic in its raw, whole form would have a better effect than isolating and synthesizing one aspect of the herb that can be proven to work. But -- you can't patent a garden herb, so the studies will continue so that something specific and patent-able can be produced.

Remember that when using garlic for antibacterial and antiviral applications, it loses its potency if cooked. It's got to be raw, and stinky. Turns out that if it is grown organically, it is probably more potent too -- no surprise there.

Enjoy your garlicky funk,

Bp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

. . .as a long-time funky garlic user, I can vouch for the "just chop it up and swallow it raw" prescription. . .a few years back I was getting strep-throat infections that made it impossible to swallow - twice I made my only visits to allopathic doctors simply because I had jobs that provided insurance. Antibiotics took out the first infection; two years later, same thing, needed TWO different antibiotics to deal with it...third infection came as an uninsured student...by then, I'd been using garlic for sniffles, etc. - well - less than 48 hours of swallowing a chopped clove of raw garlic every 4 hours or so - nada! I went from swollen glands/red streaked throat to fully recovered in less than 2 days.
conspiracy theory #526 - retail/office workspaces incubate &circulate germs & viruses, policy is to condemn the worker(or student!) who takes 'sick time off,' which keeps sick workers in contact with everyone, spreading more germs; win-win for the AMA and big pharma. . .
*light bulb moment*
I only ever needed a doctor when I was working in a place that provided "insurance" to use one...

Bpaul said...

In a similar sentiment: when I quit my union electrical job, one of my biggest concerns was losing the amazing insurance I had. My biggest health outlay was chiropractic.

Then, once I wasn't crawling around in people's crawlspaces every day with a 7.5 amp hole hawg drill, I found I didn't need to go to the chiropractor once or twice a week. Amazing how that worked out.

Anonymous said...

...aye, funny how that works...

allopathic medicine has its place and uses, I would never judge someone using appropriate resources when needed and available - I just resent the white-coat pill-dispensers that most insured folk rely on without question...

(recently finished "Dispensing with the Truth" by Alicia Mundy - a really fascinating read about how tight the FDA and big Pharma companies really are *shakes head*)