Friday, October 12, 2007

Geeked out in sword class today

Had my first Aikido sword class today. I've never trained in martial arts weapons before, so this was a completely novel experience. I have to admit, I freaking loved it.

I'm thinking this puts me into a whole new level of nerd/geek/dork territory. Perusing the vernacular definitions of these words (see links), I'm thinking this falls into more than one category. I say, Nerd and Dork. Geek seems to have an element of neophilia, and this interest is the opposite... I wonder what the word for that is. "Oldophilia?" I'll just say it's a Luddite persuit -- no electricity needed.

I'm doomed.

Ps/addition: I posted this video at school, and hadn't heard the audio til just now. Wow, what a strange selection of music to go with the visuals. Hilarious.

Enjoy your esoteric pursuits,

Bp

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a black belt? In my (Akido) dojo you had to be black belt before you worked with a sword.

Bpaul said...

Oh helllll no. This teacher starts you early, because it really helps reinforce the primary footwork for the swordless maneuvers.

Iciyapi Tate said...

that is great b-man. looks like fun

Bentley said...

Dude i am so jealous :|

Shocho said...

That is soooo cool, I'm jealous too.

When I worked at the quick printer I did a lot of stuff for a local martial arts dude, and I wanted him to train me with a weapon but he didn't do that. That's my whole story and it sucks.