Sunday, June 1, 2008

Took a quick study break, TO GATHER A SWARM!


I know, all caps is gauche, but I don't care. I just boxed my first wild swarm of honey bees and I'm pretty psyched.

Since I was on my own, I didn't document any of the process -- but if you want more of a visual than my little box there [click to get a better look at the little ladies], just refer to my archived post regarding gathering a swarm.

Actually, you have to do more than that. You have to imagine the same scene, but with me in a bee suit, and with scads less aplomb than the maestro demonstrated in that post.

But I did get the job done, and am very thankful for his mentorship.

The box is now on a front lawn, full of bees, gathering up the stragglers as night falls. Later tonight, when it's darker and colder, I'll go back, put a lid on it, and bring it to one of my back yard top-bar hives.

Will they stay? Will they abscond? Will I somehow mess this opportunity up? Only time will tell.

Enjoy getting a second chance,

Bp

Addendum: The bees are now in their hive in my back yard. When weighed before and after on a bathroom scale (highly scientific I know) the swarm weighs out at 5-8 lbs.!! That's much much larger than the 3lbs. per package I bought and lost. This is not one of my lost sets of girls -- the colony is much too big.

I'm very happy, now to monitor them to make sure they build right.

10 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

Very cool. Were you able to verify that you got the queen?

Regarding aplomb, I recall reading the instructions on installing a package in a hive. It all sounded so easy. "Tap the box on your knee to knock the bees to the bottom, remove the can [lid], and pour the bees into the hive."

Well, someone neglected to tell the bees they were supposed to be a fluid. Pour? Ummmm, no.

Regarding screwing up, I don't think you can look at it that way. when we keep bees we are asking a colony of wild creatures to stay and share with us. They may choose to do so, or they may not. I don't think screwing up is involved. Cut yourself some slack, you (and I) are new at this.

Stu

Bpaul said...

I got the queen for sure, because I saw her on my ladder! I carefully grabbed her and plopped her into the box.

You are right about the "screwing up" part -- it's called "learning." AFOFG sometimes, but learning nonetheless. Thanks for the reminder.

B

Kate said...

kickass! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they like their new digs.

Bpaul said...

It's a load of bees I tell you, totally awesome.

This time I'll stay on top of it and also just put out some good vibes they'll 1) stick around 2) build comb the right direction.

msherm said...

Good luck man. I've always suspected I'm allergic to bees. Maybe I'll come by next time I'm in town to test out my suspicions!

The Guy Who Writes This said...

A second chance for you. Good!

Bpaul said...

msherm, I'll have plenty of bees to choose from hopefully -- I'll just stand by with the benadryl and have the keys to the car in my pocket LOL.

Guy,

I'm going to start saving money for Langstroths next year. Since I only have roof room at my own house I think I'm going to find volunteer locations nearby to put the big hives. The TBH's will be fine for my house but I'm wanting to see how the other half lives now.

I've got the bug bad.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Of course, they'll love you. keeping a good thought! va momma

Anonymous said...

How did you find the swarm?

Bpaul said...

Neighbor's friends live up on Mt. Tabor and called him. They had seen my hives from his back yard and wanted to know if I was interested.

So... serendipity, basically. :-)