Saturday, June 7, 2008

Leopard seal takes nature photographer under her wing

Leopard seals have always looked a bit sinister to me, despite their obvious beauty. Something about their eyes and teeth just look so wolf-like, and -- well carnivorous.
Here is an amazing multi-media presentation by Paul Nicklen, who is a nature photographer working for National Geographic. He talks about growing up on Baffin Island, his motivations to do this type of work, and finally about an relationship he developed with a huge Leopard Seal that seemed to decide he needed some training about hunting penguins. All the while there are beautiful arctic/antarctic wildlife pictures going. The pictures alone are worth the watch.

Trappin' Pat, I thought of you immediately.

Enjoy large carnivores deciding you need a leg-up in the world,

Bp

[photo credit Paul Nicklen; National Geographic; link via Neatorama]

9 comments:

Iciyapi Tate said...

that is very cool

Stingite said...

*brings a dead penguin to Brandon's doorstep*

LT said...

Wicked scary. 12 feet long? Jesus. I think I'd rather encounter a great white than these agile beasts.

I did some research on seals in general recently and was surprised to learn they evolved from bearlike creatures, rather than a doglike, and bears are their closest mammalian relatives genetically today. They even have delayed implantation like bears do, which is why they and bears have such relatively tiny pups considering their size.

LT said...

And hey - I wasn't home at the time, gosh damn it, but the wife was when she heard some noises and looked out the window - RIGHT out the window - at a Western Gray Fox. Nothing too remarkable about that - but the noises she heard were the fox ON THE FRIGGIN ROOF CHASING THE CATS. Grays can climb trees, it turns out. who the hell knew?

A gray fox on the roof. How cool is that?

Bpaul said...

Awesome! I knew they were agile, but I didn't know quite that agile LOL.

Haven't investigated the lineage of seals myself, going to have to check in to that. I'm friends with Deb Duffield at PSU, who is an expert on marine mammals, I should buy her a coffee some time and have a chat about that.

Bpaul said...

ps: Stingite -- thanks for the penguin love HAHA!

Anonymous said...

I know that Antarctic researches are scared of them although they don’t attack people. I heard one story of a few divers prepping to drop through an ice-hole and a leopard Seal pops his head up and randomly snaps in three directions (hoping for penguin ankle) and then slowly sinks back down. “That’s OK, you can go first, oh no I went first last time you may go this time…”

Bpaul said...

Oh yikes LOL.

Catherine Just said...

THAT IS INCREDIBLE! I am in awe of his life.