Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bee lightning strikes thrice -- time for research

As Guy predicted, there would be many more disappointments in my future with top bar beehives. I checked the beehive today, and no one's home. My big beautiful swarm I just collected left, after only 1 day.

Now it's time for some research -- that's a whole lot of effort to put in and not have any hives stay.

I know why the second colony left, but not the first or third.

I hear that there are "professional" beekeepers who are very enthused with the top bar hive and are starting to accumulate data on them. I'm going to (after finals) get a hold of some of these people and find out what the problem could be. I'll document my research on the blog. Time to get back to studying.

AFOFG baby,

Bp

4 comments:

Kate said...

=(

Stu Farnham said...

Well, that sucks. I'll be interested in what you find out.

The little bit of research I did after one of my hives absconded turned up three main causes: disturbance of the hive, lack of food, or bad weather. I also read that newly installed colonies had a much greater likelihood of absconding than established ones.

If it is of any comfort to you: one of your earlier postings on bees absconding is #11 on the hit list returned from a google search for "bees abscond"

Bpaul said...

'If it is of any comfort to you: one of your earlier postings on bees absconding is #11 on the hit list returned from a google search for "bees abscond"'

HAHA! Amazing what turns up.

Yeah, the weather got bad right when I installed them -- but there's got to be a better way to "get them to stick" in a top bar hive. dribble honey all over the place, or somehow get pre-drawn comb on a top bar, or something.

Stu Farnham said...

Well, one thing that I did when I installed mine (both hives stayed until I got the second queen for hive #2) was to purchase some pollen patty from ruhl's. I wrapped pieces in cheesecloth and suspended them in the hives as I was concerned about the availability of blooms when I first got the bees.