Sunday, June 22, 2008

The New Phone Books Are Here! The New Phone Books Are Here!


If you got the movie reference in the title, you just dated yourself.

I felt like Navin Johnson when I looked outside on trash day and saw our brand spanking new compost and recycling bins. They're huge, they're bright, they're shiny, and well-wheeled. My mind jumped to how much more recycling we could do each week, instead of holding over due to lack of room. And how much easier it's going to be to get rid of our non-compostable yard debris (well, non compostable without a big chipper that is).

Then I realized how intensely nerdy that was -- like bone-crushingly nerdy, and so so "Portland."

Man, it's a staggering feeling when you realize you are fitting perfectly into a stereotype. Chickens in the back yard, NE Portland home, garden and compost going -- and unadulterated excitement over expanded recycling ease. Yikes.

Enjoy the shame of self reflection,

Bp

8 comments:

Iciyapi Tate said...

well that is why we are friends, i got mine 2 weeks ago and am still excited about them

Bpaul said...

Geeks unite!

Dale said...

I love anything and everything that mentions Navin Johnson, even phone books.

Anonymous said...

Irony comes in many forms. The Jerk, has always been one of my favorite movies. While browsing hulu.com the other night, I saw they'd added it, so, for old times sake, I watch it. Didn't realize it's been almost 30 years since its release.

While watching it, your blog post scrolled across G-Desktop's RSS feed webclips.

Timing is critical - and I'm glad you're excited about your new bin.

My wife is equally excited that I brought home an idea for better composting from Ignite Portland last Wednesday night.

http://igniteportland.com

Me? I'm just glad that the only thing I need is this paddle game, this lamp, this remote control, this...

Bpaul said...

It's an absolute trip where the web redirects stuff when I'm not looking. I'm glad to have new folks introduced to the blog for sure, but I'm baffled by the process at times.

Glad you stopped by, good to see another Portlander online.

Well met,

Bp

lisa said...

now see... i looked outside, saw them, and got annoyed. because, for this party of one, the former box was plenty big enough (except for the occasional de-weeding madness weekend). i kept thinking what a freaking waste of plastic it was that all of those bins were created... kind of an irony... like how long will it take us in increased recycling to make up for all that new plastic being created to create the rolling bins to encourage recycling. my yellow box suited me just fine. i hate plastic.

ChelanWood said...

Our whole house was equally excited the day our bins arrived!!

Bpaul said...

We, sir, are GEEKS!