Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why did I choose such a dangerous hobby?

Another blogger has lost their job over their avocation.

Dooce taught us first that you shouldn't blog about work. Being fired over your blog has happened to many I am sure, but with her, it became viral internet information.

I run, daily, into stories and information I won't share over the internet. A date a friend had, for instance, that involved incredible, hilarious, outlandish circumstances that are pure blog paparazzi material -- unbloggable. He works for important people in important places, no go.

I've written about things that I was later asked to remove, and probably for the best.

Some subjects I just won't cover because they seems too personal. I hesitate at times because I know our families and extended families read this blog. I hesitate to cuss because there is no age limit on the internet and children can read this blog, but some slips out, as in life (damn those years as a blue-collar worker -- ruined my mouth).

In the end, I just keep going and do my best. Blogging is a weird and oddly dangerous hobby, but I sure enjoy it.

Bp

9 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

This one hits home for me. I live in an area which is only slightly more liberal than most of eastern Washington (meaning: there are more than 2 registered Democrats), and I am looking for a job. I sometimes worry that a prospective employer will Google me, find my blog, and decide that I am a bad hiring choice.

I not only blog, I do so under my own name. The things I withhold are those that would be hurtful to others, betray a confidence, or that are another person's to disclose or withhold. For my own part, I am pretty much (not 100%, but pretty much) all out there for everyone to oogle (and google).

In the end, however, I doubt whether I would want to work with people who could not accept a diverse set of perspectives in the workplace. So, fark 'em if they don't like it.

The reality is that my political and philosophical opinions simply do not show up in the workplace other than in that I am honest, direct, and treat people with respect.

Kate said...

I was sort of half-heartedly skimming through all of this til I read one of his posts:
http://www.deusexmalcontent.com/
2007/04/and-all-that-could-have-been
.html

If nothing else, damn can the guy write.

Anonymous said...

There's a man who leads a life of danger.
To everyone he meets he stays a stranger.
With every move he makes another chance he takes,
Odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.

Blog on, Brother!

Bpaul said...

Kate: yep, he's a good writer, that's for sure.

Shoch, you crack me up

Estu, si si

4 said...

As another real name blogger, this worries me a litlte. But I also maintain a blog in my day job, and honed my chops for that doing my personal blogs. So I've got a leg to stand on there.

Stu Farnham said...

I" --

Hilarious!

LT said...

Yeah, I blogged this last week. Not much to say about it, just wanted to note it. I didn't know about the brain tumor. Damn.

Kate said...

It is a shame this certain boy might get in trouble. But you know, and I know, that it was a date that shall live in infamy!

My sister says she never wants to know what it takes to get to *second* base with me.

I hope we get to meet sometime...I like your style, man.

Bpaul said...

OMG!!! It's the famous Lady of the Date -- I hadn't checked my blog this morning, and missed your post.

Welcome dear. I trust we will meet soon, I look forward to it.

As for 2nd base, I'll let ya'll work that out amongst yourselves *cough*