Saturday, February 16, 2008

Random Chore Man (tm) imitates winter storm

The Wife has this title for me -- Random Chore Man (tm). I can't believe I haven't brought it up in the blog, because it is so prevalent in our home life.

Random Chore Man struck this morning, having decided that it was high time he trim down the plum tree in our parking strip. Of course it was going to be "just a light trim" -- but as the picture attests, it turned out to be a big 'ol effing deal.

When I tried to defend my seemingly random desire to attack this chore today, The Wife just smirked at me and patted me on the shoulder saying something dismissive like "you go get 'em honey, you sic 'em."

Since she won't listen, I'll explain to ya'll.

For one, I've been noticing how the tree is reaching up into the power lines. It is also taking more and more light away from our front yard every year. I also noticed how many vertical suckers it had developed, and I know that those are always removed by orchardists as they reduce fruit production. Even though this is an "ornamental" plum tree -- it does produce fruit, so I figured if I treated it more like a fruit tree it might be encouraged in this endeavor. Also, the tree has *just* started putting on its flower buds, so this is the last weekend where I could trim it this winter. Once the energy was flowing, and the flowers blooming, it would be bad for the tree.

In essence, I had my reasons dammit.

The Wife thinks the whole "fruit tree" element is hilarious, "It's an ORNAMENTAL plum hun," -- but supported me in my exertions regardless, because the tree really did need a strong pruning. She called a friend of hers from work and invited him over to behold Random Chore Man, of whom he had heard so much.

Look, those pillows in the front room were dusty and had cat hair on them, fluffing them in the dryer was entirely appropriate -- who else was going to do it. Sheesh -- always chappin' my arse around here...

Random Chore Man signing out.

Bp

4 comments:

Openly Guarded said...

Also, it's a pretty freaking nice day.

Stu Farnham said...

Hah! I can do you one better! I am randomnested chore man.

That curtain rod is too low, and I'm sick of looking at it. I head out to the garage to get the drill and I realize I have not cleaned ou the horse's stall. I get the stall cleaned out and start towards the compost bin when I notice that the water tub is all full of algae and I probably don't need the heater in it any more. Then I see that the corral panels comprising the paddock have shifted. I go to get the wrench, come wood, and the pry bar; the wrench must be in the house. I head in the house and see that the hanging pot holder is sort of skewed relative to the counter top, which has been bugging me for a while, so I get the stool and take all the pots and pans down, when the phone rings; it's Eddie, he's comin over to help lift the microwave into place. I beed a couple of shims so tht the microwave will fir right, so I get ou thte table saw to but the shims from some clear pine left over from another project, which reminds me: the arbor got pretty trashed in the windstorm, and it looks like I can build a replacement myself, so I grab the tape measure and head to the arbor when I notice the vents in the cupola on the barn, which need to be rebuilt so they don't let in the rain. I can probably do that, too, so I head back in the barn and up the ladder to the loft. You know, the ends of the ladder stick up just enough above the floor of the lost so the hatch does not sit tight; I'll get the sawzall and cut them back. Hmmm, it's been a while since the batteries for the power tools have been charged, I'd better get the chargers out and charge them all up.

Hmmm, time for lunch. Boy, there's still al lot of dust from the storm on the patio rug, I'd better clean that of while I'm thinking of it.

And so it goes. It's barely lunchtime and I have 12 or 13 random chores in progress, neatly nested like Russian matrioshka, all underway but none of the completed.

Bpaul said...

Wow, retirement is more complicated than you thought eh? LOL

Stu Farnham said...

Nah, I've always been this way. It's my own personal form of ADD LOL