Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Contraception = abortion to the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services


I've been sitting on this article by Ann Woolner called Millions Who Had Abortions Don't Know It: Update I for many reasons. For one, the government calling contraception abortion is so out of line I just didn't want to believe it. For two, it pissed me off to no end and I didn't like the idea of doing the same to others. And finally, I just couldn't find the name or the exact lines from the Dept. of Health and Human Services that the author is referring to.

I still want to find them, but I thought one of the best ways to do that is post the article here and ask folks to find out what they can. Please dig if you have the time, I'm dying to know if this is B.S. or not.

A quote with the central point of the article:

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has drafted a rule that would call it abortion when a contraceptive prevents a fertilized egg from embedding itself in the uterine wall.

That's one of the ways many birth-control pills and intrauterine devices work. And if that's abortion, millions of women who didn't know they were pregnant -- who medically weren't pregnant -- have killed their unborn children.


Let me know if you find anything else out, this is driving me crazy,

Bp

[photo credit in Bloomberg.com article, via Catherine the Great]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The Bush Administration has consistently supported the unborn. However, the issue I asked to be addressed in this regulation is not abortion or contraceptives, but the legal right medical practitioners have to practice according to their conscience and patients should be able to choose a doctor who has beliefs like his or hers."
quote by Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt, august 2008

basically, this is more crap around the pharmacists whose "consciences" don't "allow" them to fill LEGAL prescriptions for birth control pills. . . the first round was about "the morning after" pill - now they're going for the monthlies.

bush (the irony of that name is not lost on me, and I certainly remember the bumper sticker referring to a bush and a dick in office means we're getting f****d)has been working to push through some of his pea-brain flock's agenda afore he hits that lonesome road. . .

I hope this is the information you were after?

(the quote is from the washington post, august 9, 2008 - google it)
(sadly I don't know exactly how to include a viable link here yet - this one is too long to copy/paste)