Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Social science classes vs. "hard' science classes

I have a social science class this term, a small class, taught in the round. There is a lot of feeling going on, and resonating, and speaking about things. Sometimes I look at the clock, wondering when class will actually start, and I realize that it did like 1/2 hour ago, and this isn't just some conversation -- it's the class.

I talked about how different it is with another science major friend of mine, and she said "oh, I love those classes -- it's like DISNEYLAND!"

Compared to the "sit down, shut up, and try to keep up with me" lectures I'm now used to, this is a completely new experience. I mean... how do I *feel* about the content of the class..... seriously?

I balked a bit at first, but now I'm enjoying it. The style is a lot more like my life outside of school. I can see it's going to be quite interesting to go full time into an education graduate program after having ground out a hard science bachelor's degree. There is going to be a lot of reflecting, feeling, and communicating going on I'm sure. So novel.

Enjoy switching gears when you're given the opportunity,

Bp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! What's the class? I hope it's in the English dept.

Bpaul said...

It's a class where I'll be placed in an "at need" high school to help out in the classroom. We have class sessions at school to journal and discuss our experience, etc. We are also planning a big event for high schoolers near the end of the term, TBA ;-)

Kate said...

funny, Rob is going through the exact same thought process....he can't quite believe that all he has to do is keep a journal about his capstone, nothing else.
I have to say, I never thought I'd see him get excited about teaching a bunch of highschool kids about trees, but it's happening!