Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bee Crazy

I'm getting a lot of behind the scenes interest in Backyard Bee information, so I wanted to post a list of some of the sites I've found the most helpful:

First and foremost, www.biobees.com, because the emphasis there is on Top-Bar hives. Once you read some articles there, you may come to the same conclusion about that hive style as I did -- this is as much about having healthy bees as it is getting tons of honey.

Next, for the P-town folks, is Ruhl Bee Supply. They have everything you need outside the top-bar hive itself. I bet, very soon, they'll start carrying top bar hives if the demand is there.

Here's a cool article by The Peace Corps on Small Scale Beekeeping.

Here's another top-bar oriented site: backyardhive.com.

Washington State Beekeepers association has a ton of good information.

For that matter, here is the Oregon State Beekeepers Association.

Remember too how to use "labels" in blogger blogs. Scroll down this page and look on the right hand side, eventually you will see "topic labels for easy cruising." There is a "back yard bees" label, and although I have only just begun posting about them, all my posts regarding the bees are there.

Enjoy helping out a belaboured caste of unappreciated workers,

Bp

7 comments:

Stu Farnham said...

The Walla Walla hives are thriving, as far as can be seen from the outside. i gave each hive a slab of fondant before leaving for Sunnyside as it remains cold here (it's the end of April, goddamit) just in case they could not locate sufficient blossoms to sustain the hive.

I have the hives behind a temporary fence to discourage canine interest in bees or apine interest in dogs.

Bpaul said...

Have you peeked in to make sure they aren't getting "creative" with their comb placement yet? That seems to be the danger at this point, that they'll build combs perpendicular to our bars.

I'm going in today, didn't want to bug them the last few days because the weather was so crappy, but I want to know if they're eating the fondant (known as bee candy at our house) and if they've started in on some comb making yet.

Stu Farnham said...

I haven't opened the hives since I left for Sunnyside on Tuesday. It is warm enough during the day now (could spring have decided to catch up with the calendar?) that the bees are very active once the sun hits the hives, so I will wait until early tomorrow to take a peek. I also want to put a small fence in front of the hives (right how I have portable canine exercise pens draped around them) to prevent one of the dogs from barreling into the hives.

Bpaul said...

Word is, the best time to open them up is early afternoon when they've been flying for at least a few hours. Much of the hive population is gone, and the ones that are left behind are busy.

Bpaul said...

ps: I can just see one of the pooches barreling into a hive LOL, what a mess.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just found this site through the Mid-Valley Eat Local Challenge and you are my new hero. Partly because I've been cheering on every bee I see (Go little bee! Survive! Pollinate!) and it's nice to see someone else concerned about colony collapse disorder and healthy bees. Partly because I am also 37 and back at school. Yay for scaring the 18-year-olds!

Cheers from a Corvallis resident who only wishes she had a backyard to fill with bees. And chickens.

Bpaul said...

Welcome Candi, thanks for the kind comments.

Disrupting the youthful hegemony at college is definitely a secret pleasure of mine, here here sister.

I ran into slow-food enthusiasts outside Victoria B.C. last summer at Tugwell Creek Meadery, and got a quick education on the whole local food movement. As soon as I heard about it I knew there would be folks in Oregon doing this.

I dig the eat local movement, but until I'm out of school I'm probably going to hold off actually trying to pull it off. School's made it quite a challenge to even eat healthy, much less locally. I'm sure you can relate.

Seeing the post over at mid-valley makes me realize I haven't photographed The Ladies enough lately. They're looking good right now, with some new mongrel pullets from our friends on Mt. Hood, I'll get on that.

Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on the Mid valley site now too.

Bp