Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Smoked fish for breakfast

After staying up wayyy too late, I realized that when you leave the skin on the fish, the "drying" time (no smoke, low heat) goes up 10-fold from the recipies. So, I hit the sack and pulled the fish out this morning. I used a Highly Traditional Smoker. I used 3 "loads" of alder chips for smoke, 18 hours "lite" brine, and 8 hours under heat. The small fish at least are pretty dam good. There is, of course, room for improvement.

Like a newb I brined em a bit too long (but not much), and used too much smoke. Next time, I'll add some garlic and a bit more molasses to the brine, brine them about 8 less hours, and only use 2 "loads" of chips for smoke. For a first attempt I'm quite pleased though. The fish have a great carmel color on the outside, and look just like the vacume-packed smoked whitefish you can buy in the deli counter at our local New York Style deli.

It was a great breakfast, time to bag em up.

Enjoy your random projects,

Bp

5 comments:

Bentley said...

Mmm.
I need to buy myself a "highly traditional smoker".

Iciyapi Tate said...

man that sounds freaking NASTY. but i admire you for catching and eating

Kate said...

Taterbug, fish = good ;)

Bpaul said...

HAHA, Ricky was over tonight and predicted you'd have that reaction LOL.

Si, Kate Si.

Iciyapi Tate said...

BAH!!! he is correct.
Fish = good only if swimming in the water and not on my freaking plate/
LOL i just dont get it *shiver*