Friday, September 21, 2007

I totally freaking called it -- a quick morning gloat


So the family uses Netflix to watch TeeVee. We only watch second-run series on DVD -- that way we can get suggestions from friends, and watch em whenever we want. Upon the suggestion of multiple friends and most recently Uncle Terry, we gave Carnivale a shot last night.

I've found that I can't watch normal network TeeVee shows anymore. The timing and laugh tracks and assumptions made about the audience just don't work for me. It's been too long since I watched broadcast television regularly (almost 20 years) -- I've lost the chip. But HBO series are another matter entirely. They are just stretched out movies or something. Much higher quality. Six Feet Under was the first that showed us what TeeVee could be nowadays. The first season was a huge hit in this house.

But I digress, back to the gloating. We were watching Carnivale last night, and a pretty older lady (HBO is great for casting beautiful older actresses as well) was haunting my memory banks. Finally I realized who it was and blurted out, "she's that lady from The Swamp Thing!" T. and The Wife were incredulous, they made some comment about me being such a freak and laughed.

Turns out I am a freak, because I was RIGHT. It's Adrienne Barbeau, a heart-throb of mine early in my life. Probably very early actually, because there was a family friend who looked just like her.

Another quick digression: A popular story with the parents is that when the Adrienne Barbeau look-alike was visiting us and I was still a toddler, I unceremoniously grabbed her boobies -- one in each hand. Her response was "Ohhh, how cute, he likes older women." At which point she promised to return for my 16th birthday. Even though she hadn't been around for many moons at that point, she did show up for my 16th birthday -- I was thrilled and mortified simultaneously.

Enjoy your media savvy and childhood crushes,

Bp

6 comments:

Iciyapi Tate said...

LOL, you make me laugh.
she was also on "Maude"

Anonymous said...

Recently saw her in Escape From New York with Kurt Russel ("Its 1997, NY City is a walled maximum security prison, breaking out is impossible, breaking in is insane...."). I'd love to go see a Adrienne Barbeau film fest.

Bpaul said...

She's still a babe in my book.

A.Stock said...

The strange thing here is that this entire message could have been posted by me. I also only watch teevee via Netflix...just finished Six Feet Under, etc.

And Adrienne was one of my first childhood realizations that I liked women's breasts. And if I remember right, she was/is sporting quite a set. Although, I have to assume that gravity has had some impact since 1978.

Anonymous said...

Hey BP,

We have a thing called zip.ca up here that's just like netflix (except no Saturday mail here).

I am weeks away from disconnecting the cable once and for all. I was keeping it around "for the children" but even if they are watching commercial free shows, there's only so much Toopy and Binoo one can take.

So it will be tvRSS (and Miro) for late breaking stuff, and then DVDs for the ones that turn out to be good. It's much nicer watching them later without commercials too.

I think TV as we have known it is on its way out the door.

My tip, Californication is pretty funny so far...


Oh and get an ipod Touch, not for the music or video, but for a portable wifi web browser for $300!

Cheers,
Ted

Bpaul said...

Uncle Ted!!!

Ipod for browsing... you huge geek.

Who knows maybe I'll be doing that soon. Great to see you here on the blog.

Andrew, that cracks me up. Wonder how far off in age we are...