Saturday, May 24, 2008

Saul Williams -- poet stuck in my head

My Canukistani operative Yuri sent me the video below of Saul Williams performing a song in a style I'd never heard come out of him -- raucous, loud, poppy, industrial. At first I thought, "catchy" -- and then I kept re-listening to it. The beat is so simplistic, and yet that's part of why it works. This song was picked up for use in, of all things, a Nike commercial, which is giving it a second life. So, this post qualifies as a "songs stuck in my head" post.

Before more, here's the video:



Saul Williams has sick talent, he just keeps creating in whatever venue or medium he can get his hands on. He was known first as a slam poet, winning a grand slam championship at the Nuyorcian poets cafe. He starred in the indie film "Slam," getting many kudos for his performance, especially at Sundance. He, as evidenced above, does music and music/poetry projects as well. For his album The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust he even worked with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.

I've seen him live once, and would do so again in the drop of a hat. It was impressive. The stacatto, machine-gun style of his verse can wear me out, but there's no arguing his stage presence, far-reaching intellect and capacity with words.

Enjoy long introductions,

Bp

No comments: