Saturday, May 17, 2008

Random Chore Man gets green on a Saturday morning (and accidentally induces the need for a quick rant)

[Disclaimer regarding the use of the term "green" -- some folks know I have a severe and sudden allergy to the word "sustainable" as its being used in advertising and greenwashing campaigns lately. It's overused, and an actually sustainable human endeavor is a VERY high bar to set, if you actually include all the costs you really have to offset before you can consider something sustainable. I prefer the term "green" because, although it sets no bar on how environmentally sound the idea is, it does imply that you are at least trying. It strikes me as more intellectually honest. *gets off soapbox* and now for your regularly scheduled posting.]

Random Chore Man showed up this morning to hang a Sunline retractable clothesline we purchased from Hankins Hardware over on MLK. I dig that hardware store.

Anyway, we have had clotheslines under the car port before, but eventually we'd stop using them because they'd get dirty and be a pain in the butt to clean. The answer was a retractable -- stays clean when not in use, and out of the way. Trappin' Pat (who comments often on this blog) suggested this model for me, and I had a hell of a time finding it at first, until I got a hold of Hankins.

Now we have our 4-season clothesline in. Clothes dry just fine in the winter as well, just takes a bit more time. When it's hot in the summer, they dry very fast.





Enjoy the simplicity of some of life's correct decisions,

Bp

4 comments:

Chuck Butcher said...

My wife finds me unreasonable in that I don't like my clothes hung out to get stiff and dirty after a washing. A pair of Carharts will darn near stand up by themselves after such treatment.

Stopped by per Kevin
;-)

Bpaul said...

Yeah, Carharts (been living in them for years) need to be beat up a bit by a dryer before they're wearable. I completely agree.

Anonymous said...

I should have told you where to go because Hankins is where I got mine. Perhaps they aren't as common as they should be. BTW I LOVE stiff towels, socks and trousers of the line--but then again I yam who I yam.

Anonymous said...

Love that wisteria!!! wow. va momma Clotheslines outside in the woods make for clean-dirty clothes with a possible hitchhiking tick, lurking about. va momma