Thursday, May 29, 2008

Guerrilla gardening makes me happy


Yuri sent me this article link on Guerrilla gardeners in L.A. in an email titled, "This makes me think of black clad hippies scaling buildings." Nice. The photo is one of a set in the article that shows how to make "seed bombs."

I must say, I love stuff like this. It makes me happy to the core -- I know it's uncouth or uncool, or anti-hip to talk about happiness openly and in public but I don't give a rip.

I've known quite a few people over the years who launched little campaigns of guerrilla food production all over the West coast, from Bezerkeley, to Eugene, Portland, and Seattle. At one point, folks I knew were planting Comfrey all over hell and gone when it had been rumored to be pulled off the shelves due to some sketchy science. I've personally planted, or known about plants as varied as raspberries, sunchokes, sunflowers, strawberries, and even fruit trees being planted in unwanted places. I think it's a great hobby, and fun for the whole family.

The policy of not planting food in public lands and parks in the cities has always been suspect to me. I know it could create pest problems, but I'm still suspicious of other, more anti-humanitarian/pro-market, motivations. So, consider having some fun and reversing this trend yourself.

Enjoy feeding strangers with a low-cost, anarcho-green hobby,

Bp

5 comments:

Iciyapi Tate said...

nice, i have done this myself a bit and am getting the urge to spread some plants around..

Bpaul said...

Hey Tate,

Have you listened to the Saul Williams song a few posts ago? I think it would be up your alley for those times when you need to blow off some steam.

Iciyapi Tate said...

i like that song, usually when i need to blow off steam this is the stuff i listen to and sing at the top of my lungs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw
not sure if it comes up as alink

Bpaul said...

Hehe, yeah that song works as well LOL.

A bit more... poignant I'd say, :-)

Iciyapi Tate said...

Very. I love it.
with my hearing issue and my frustration for most of society. I think it works great