Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dueling pastors

OK, enough humor -- here's some surrealist, apocalyptic nutbagness. Truly epic nutbagness. And it's in the McCain Camp, which makes it important to be aware of.

Now, I keep hesitating to hear this guy's message as it's being described all over the net -- basically that the holocaust was God's Good Work. Outside of epistemological and/or ontological arguments that are beyond the scope of what I'm willing to engage 20 minutes before class -- the simple interpretation of this guy's sermon does lead one down this road, doesn't it?

As for pastors that one would need to distance oneself from in a presidential campaign -- I'd say Hagee trumps Wright any day. But then again I'm just a left-coast independent, what do I know.

Apparently, McCain has moved on this and distanced himself from the crazy pastor -- although in a thoroughly half-assed way.



Enjoy keeping things in perspective,

Bp

4 comments:

Chuck Butcher said...

Today had to be rife with fodder having Hagee and Parsley go within hours. McCain actually had to go looking for these numbnuts. This is more competent than BushCo???

Bpaul said...

I had to look up Parsley -- real charmer that one.

McCain is going to have to depend heavily on bigots and racists in this election cycle, so I expect the campaigning is going to be ugly.

Anti gay and anti black are going to be big issues for him, but he's going to have to cloak it a bit to try and keep the "moderates" in his camp.

Yeah, going to be an ugly show.

Kate said...

it'll be interesting to see how he balances some of the racism....he has an adopted daughter from Bangladesh.

Stu Farnham said...

As BP knows, I have a huge problem with the politics of guilt by association. I objected to it when done to Obama, and I object to it when done to McCain.

This is not to say that I'd vote for McCain (or even that I think Obama any more than the best of a shoddy lot). Rather, it is just my latest objection to the abject state of political discourse in this country.

----

You know, Al Gore may just turn out to be one of the best of our former VPs, just as Jimmy Carter has turned out to be one of our best Ps.

I am reading his excellent book "The Assault on Reason", which talks about the loss of meaningful dialogue in American politics -- which in turn means the loss of solution-focused discussion of the true issues facing our nation.

As I have said (ranted) before, our political system has become purely and solely about the acquisition and maintenance of power; any idealistic notion of public service is quickly eroded by the powerful and caustic forces in play.

Do we wish to support the tenor of this debate simply because it suits our candidate of the moment?

Tune in, turn on, OPT OUT.