Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Absinthe cures ulcers

I have a great Microbiology teacher, his name is Radu Popa and I'm enjoying his class quite a bit. He's Romanian, and therefore sounds a bit like Dracula when he lectures -- it's fantastic. Today, he went off about Absinthe and inspired me to post about this psychoactive liquor.

Did you know that Absinthe cured ulcers? It kills a bacteria called Heliobacter pylori which causes many types of ulcers (but not all). Now I am not, of course, suggesting you drown your ulcer in Absinthe when a simple treatment of antibiotics will even more effectively treat the same condition. [get that AMA -- I'm NOT suggesting that, for the record] But it's a cool fact nonetheless.

The active ingredients in Absinthe (at least those what make it fantastically, radioactively green, and gives it the characteristic bitter taste) are toxic in sufficient quantities. This is part (but not all) of why it gained such a stigma in Europe and in the U.S. When distilled improperly, it is quite toxic. The other reason it got such a bad reputation, according to Dr. Popa, was its competition. Vinters, brewers and distilleries made a conscious attempt to smear the reputation of Absinthe. The fact that lax producers produced a sometimes-toxic product made their job easy. Only recently has it seen a resurgence in popularity across Europe.

When distilled properly, Absinthe is purported to have psychoactive qualities. These are imparted by the use of "Wormwood" -- Artemesia absinthium in the recipie. The substance which most likely gives these effects is Thujone. Stepping aside from the science of it, I'll say that apparently the Thujone provides Cannibis-like effects. I could geek out for a whole post on the theories about how these effects are created, but I'll spare ya'll the physiology of it. The simple fact is, it's trippy stuff to ingest.

Absinthe has recently been legalized in the United Stated -- but there's a catch. Of course, the only Absinthe legally available in the U.S. has to be free of Thujone (or at least in concentrations of no more than 10 ppm -- which is for all practical purposed zero). Yep -- all the taste and look of the original but none of the psychoactive goodness. C'est La Vie -- maybe this will be one of those famous 'slippery slopes' and real absinthe will be available some day. There are, of course, ways around this law.

The Wife is pretty fascinated by Absinthe, so I don't expect this will be the last post on the subject. For now, however, I've got papers to do and people to write so I'd better get to it.

Enjoy your Thujone-free day,

Bp


[Absinthe graphic via Madame Talbot's website. If you like the graphic, kick down for one of their posters.]

5 comments:

Bentley said...

When i was in europe in 2002 we picked up a bottle of Absinthe at the supermarket.. I gotta say i didn't hallucinate, but i did have quite the full body stone for about 4 hours. I was a Bentley puddle. It was quite bitter before we realized our friend and hostess was saying "poor it over a sugar cube you fucking canadian twits" in Flemish (after she translated for us).

Bpaul said...

I bet you were polite enough that you didn't explain you were, in fact, Kanukistani. The Flemish just wouldn't understand.

Bentley said...

HAH. we had to get them to call us "North american" first. Oh those belgians not knowing how sensitive us kanukistanies are about being called "american" :P

msherm said...

I read a study by someone who took 5 incredible old bottles of absinthe (ie the stuff blake and all those fellas drank and supposedly hallucinated from) and determined that it too had very low levels of thujone in it. According to this study anyone who drank enough of it to hallucinate would have consumed the equivalent of something like 10liters of vodka.

So it's unlikely there ever was too much absinthe hallucinations just good old fashioned drunkenness.

I'll try to find it for you.

and I too have had an absinthe interest as of late. I had a nice cocktail the other night made with it actually. Called "corpse reviver" was lovely.

Bpaul said...

I heard about a great article on the stuff in an old New Yorker magazine, maybe 6 months back. I'm going to try and find it some night when I'm dog tired like tonight.

Ps: you can leave messages on my voice mail, it won't bite hehe