Friday, July 11, 2008

Big 'ol Rock Star show


Can't recall the last time I went to a big stadium rock and roll show. Leave it to The Wife to drag me into these new and interesting experiences. We went to see the Foo Fighters at the Rose Garden Arena last night. I really enjoyed myself.

Not a ton to say, and it's early, and I have a light rail to catch -- but it was a grand show. Dave Grohl has charisma enough to carry the whole band on stage. He runs around, jokes with the audience, shakes his hair around in big-rock-star fashion -- but all the while you get the impression that he's just a normal guy enjoying himself. How he portrays that in an arena full of people is kind of mind-boggling, but he truly does. I came away with the feeling that he was just a normal guy who loves his job, and that job happens to be rocking the fuck out.

Grohl isn't the only showman on the stage, Taylor Hawkins has his back in the big rockstar department. He's a superb drummer, but also banters and goofs it up with the best of them.

I'm glad I went, and I'm glad this huge, sold-out Arena rock and roll show didn't feel like an ego-fest by the band.

The best thing about the show, however, was the people watching. We had a chubby little guy in the row in front of us, with his sister, older brother and Dad in tow. The kid looked about 11, with coke-bottle glasses, and for sure got picked on at school. But this kid ROCKED THE FUCK OUT during the show, it was the cutest thing ever. He threw the Corna during most of the songs, and did an admirable head-banger head-nod as well despite his short hair. It was adorable.

His dad, a few seats down and in a tye-dye'd shirt was grooving on the show as well. I realized at some point during the night that The Foo Fighters first album came out before the little guy was born, and when the Dad was probably in the prime of his head-banging life. We are definitely getting older.

I've always thought this song would be really great live -- and now I know, it is. It really is.

Enjoy rare experiences, especially if at first you think it will be a cheese-fest and are proven wrong,

Bp


[photo via Pride of Manchester site]

2 comments:

A.Stock said...

I'm SO f'ing jealous, you have no idea. These guys have been one of my favorite bands ever since their first release. I know every word of every song, etc... and yet, I'm so (sadly) old that i'm out of touch with who is coming to concert on what dates. So, by the time i found out about the show, it was sold out. And although i love the band, i'm not willing to pay $130 or $140 from a scalper to see them (multiply that times two for me and the wife).

I'm glad you had a good time and that you rocked in my stead.

msherm said...

One of my favorite shows. It's been almost 10 years since that show and I still remember it fondly. Glad to hear they are still rocking out.