Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mini black hole and the destruction of the earth by the French


Remember the Hadron Rap video? It was making light of the possibilities of CERN's Large Hadron Collider. Here's a page at Misunderstood Universe that is making dark of the upcoming experiments -- claiming that it is possible to create a mini black hole with this machine that will eat the earth. Don't miss the video -- it rocks.

Are you numbed by doomsday predictions yet? I have to say, I am: "If Iran gets access to nuclear technology..." "If just one extremist gets their hands on a suitcase nuclear device..." "If we don't stop global warming..." "If the dead zones in the sea keep expanding" "If you eat too much swordfish..." etc etc etc.

I'm not saying that there aren't perfectly reasonable considerations in each of these statements. There probably is. And, I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done about all of them. I'm saying that I hit overload today, somehow, magically. I have no idea how.

Because I'm in overload, I get this weird giddiness when I am confronted with the newest of the doomsday concerns -- a mini black hole created at the Large Hadron Collider eating the earth. How romantic is that? How perfectly metaphorical -- it's the Frankenstein story on steroids, like mega steroids. "Humankind finally pushes things too far -- end of story."

Hell if I know.

Enjoy weird days when you have them -- no matter how they arrive,

Bp

[article via Stingite, who loves ya]

No comments: