Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bee Time + Eddie Izzard on Bees

Spring is not just Garden Time and Nettle Time -- it's Bee Time. I'm excited.

I went down to Ruhl Bee Supply with Estu to pick up his hives, equipment, and some packages of Carniolans. He, too, will be mixing a Langstroth hive into his home bee keeping, while continuing to work with his Top Bar hive.

I still need to assemble my Langstroth for the garden, and paint it, before I get a nuc to ensure a nice solid take with the new bees. I'm very excited, only a couple weeks and I'll be in business.

Looks like I'll be lending out two of my top bar hives to friends, and will keep one to gather a swarm into this season. The idea is to see if there is any way they'll stay in a top bar up in its current location -- it would be fantastic if they'd stay, because I could get a few hives up there without much trouble at all.

Anyway, plans and dreams aside, below is a great Eddie Izzard skit about bees to finish off this post.



Enjoy the care and feeding of small creatures,

Bp

5 comments:

Damn kids keep the hell off my lawn! said...

I would prefer my new nom de plume to the old "Estu". From now on you can sign me:

Bpaul said...

I can sign you ------

what? LOL

Kate said...

"grumpy old man?"

*ducks*

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Bee Day in Colton on April 25. You going?

Bpaul said...

I may, I may. I'm trying to keep things loose with the baby so new and all, but I'd sure love to come.

Thanks for the heads up,

Bp