Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hunting, pre-history-style, in the Kalahari

I ran across this video and wanted to share it.

Sir David Attenborough is the narrator, which immediately makes it interesting and watchable in our world. It shows probably the oldest form of hunting that humans have engaged in -- "persistence" hunting. Meaning, an animal is tracked and eventually run down by one or more hunters, on foot. They literally tire the animal out until it succumbs.

The strength and tenacity this would take is staggering to consider, really. Also, their tracking ability is pretty unfathomable.

Watching these guys run, with their silence and their hand signals, really makes me think there is more going on than the commentary would suggest. I suspect there are more skills on display here than we may be able to imagine.

The end of the video shows the level of respect these people have for their prey. It's amazing to watch and worth the time to hang til the end.



Enjoy catching a glimpse of a different time,

Bp

4 comments:

Dale said...

This is words-fail awesome. Thank you for tracking it down (so to speak).

Bpaul said...

Oh you are bad LOL.

LT said...

Really something. Thanks, Bp.

How's everything?

Bpaul said...

I'm home with the baby 3 days a week, which rocks. Can be challenging, due to lack of milk-production facilities on my part, but we muddle through with the mama providing from afar.

Everything is good, though. I basically am booked solid most weeks so my blog is taking a bit of a hit. I am working to keep it no less than 2-3 posts a week.

How bout you? International fame and fortune I expect -- ladies underwear on the stage, etc?